Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Changing Room Etiquette

Recently, every time I make my way to the Westin hotel for my morning practice, I drive with a feeling of pensive dread. I get to the changing room around the same time in the morning, and each time there is this same guy who is also finishing off his shower at that time. At first, I thought I was intruding. After all, he is probably there more often than me because he is ALWAYS there when I’m there. But he seems to like walking around in the nude as if he was in his home alone. Not that I mind. But the guy dishing out the locker keys always assign me to the locker next to his, even though there are only the two of us in that changing room. It makes changing a lot awkward, for a start.

I’m actually quite used to nudity in the showers. After all, in my younger days when I was playing football, we have communal showers. But this guy is nude for a long time! I suspect he is a strong believer in air-drying.

Why am I ranting now? When I walk in this morning, this guy had his towel wrapped around his waist. The moment I come in, he dropped his towel right in front of me and proceeded on to whatever he was doing - washing his face, having a shave, every other thing except putting on clothes. WTF?! I tried to change into my yoga gear as fast as I could. However the faster I tried to get ready, the more I fumbled. F’ing zip won’t work. Oh shit, he is coming behind me. Can’t get my legs through my shorts. What’s happening to my coordination? Damn, left my wallet on the bench, etc, etc.

So, by the time I got to the mat, I was already sweating before my first Sun Salutation. Mind was, of course, scattered. But, as the practice went on, I soon forgot about the changing room. Instead, my mind became preoccupied on how all the Chinese New Year feasts have played havoc with my flexibility.

However, I’m back on the mat and it’s good that I’m now less flustered with this morning’s images.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he's gay?
    Maybe next time, change at home, then drive to the Westin? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have tried going in yoga clothes once. But ended up forgetting to bring my belt for my work pants, and suffered the whole day at work, constantly hiking my pants up!

    ReplyDelete