Friday, March 12, 2010

Biggest Loser Asia

Last Tuesday saw the conclusion of the very first season of Biggest Loser Asia. I find it so amazing that so much weight could be lost in such a short time. Just goes to show that anything is possible.


The winner was this guy from Indonesia. Although he was the clear winner, there were lots of discussions on how haggard he looked and whether his win projected the right message to the public.


The runner up was this guy from the Philippines. Many said he should be the winner given how good and healthy he looked.

There was big contrast on how these 2 contestants lost their weight in the final months. The guy from the Philippines followed the conventional approach, working and exercising in his free time. He is a fine dining chef, by the way. The Indonesian took a couple of months off, and devoted all his time working out in the gym. Hence, the criticisms, I guess. Many pointed out his approach is not a sustainable one.

But, hey, this is a competition after all. Maybe the winner does look haggard. To be fair, though, people who lose a lot weight in a short time tend to look haggard, even though they are in fact fitter. I had my share of comments when I was doing a lot of rehabilitation exercises after the operation on my shoulder.

Whatever negative or positive message people will take from this result, at least the winner has proven that change is possible. Though extreme, I was in awe of his determination; and I hope his journey of health and fitness continues after this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment