Monday, April 26, 2010

Practice Notes - Ujjayi Breaths

Class started with us sitting and getting our ujjayi breaths started. After a while, led class started. But not before the following words “Remember the sound of the ujjayi breaths. Let that be the background of your practice. When the practice starts, the foreground of dristhis will change, but let the background of the ujjayi breaths be constant”. Ok, I’m paraphrasing a bit. But that’s the gist of Manoj’s wonderful message to us that class last Friday evening.

There were of course countless times when I forget his message as I struggle through the asanas I’m working on (oh, so many that I’m not even going to bother naming them). But at least there was something to hang on to when I do remember it. When I do follow it, the practice seems more meditative and less of a struggle. Most times, though, I have to dial back the depth of the asana in the beginning. But more often than not, by the end of the fifth cycle of breath, the depth of the asana is as deep, if not deeper than when one try to muscle into the asana.

Practice has been good. Apart from Baddha Padmasana, there has been no major breakthrough. But the good thing that is happening lately is the regularity of practice, and the acceptance that some days it’s ok to miss a practice. Baddha Padmasana has been more miss than hit. I’ve only managed one more successful attempt after my last post. This practice does give a good lesson in non-attachment!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting.

    I have yet to read those books. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete