Saturday, June 19, 2010

Make Your Car A No Phone Zone

The Oprah Show. I, for one, would change to another channel should her show be on. It’s not that I dislike her show. I just feel she gets really personal to the point of intrusive. And then, all done in a concerned sounding tone.

But this time, the in law’s were watching the Oprah Show in their house. As I’m the outlaw out numbered, I sat through the show. This time it was on texting while driving. Much as I hate to admit it, Oprah did manage to get the point across in a very compelling manner. Texting is definitely not the thing to do when driving. She came up with stories of families lost in texting related accidents, focused on victims’ families and on the culprits themselves. Aiyo, even I was drawn to the stories. Partly, I must add, out of guilt. I too am guilty of texting and talking on the phone while driving. Just that very day, I was texting during my drive to my in law’s.





If we have managed to cope without mobile phones before, we should be able to cope with completing our journey without the use of mobile phone. One way, I guess, is to put the mobile on silent mode beforehand. Take the temptation away. The other is to only pick up the phone when the car is stationary.

I’m still prone to picking up the phone during driving; but this is something I must really change. And I hope those reading will also not text the next time they drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment